Wednesday, October 14, 2009

MONKEY

So today was a typical day off of mine, where I am running errands and doing everything that needs to be done when I am not at work or VB. So today at Walmart I am doing my grocery shopping and than got in line to pick up a perscription for Marlee today. As I am standing in their typical 20 min line there is a black lady next to us in the same isle and she is looking at the cough drops and what not. I was holding Mya and Mya said "mama monkey", and I figuring that she was looking at a monkey on a package somewhere. I was like "yea hunny do you see a monkey", not even turning around to see where she was seeing the monkey. She said it a couple of more times and this black lady turns around and says in a very harsh, rude tone, "I am not a monkey!" I turned around and was like "excuse me", than she said " your child keeps pointing to me saying monkey, and I am not a monkey." I said " oh I think she is not meaning you, she probably see's a monkey on some packaging or something" (as a quickly glance at the items on the shelf trying to figure out where she was seeing it). There was none, so she must have been meaning this black lady. I just said "oh I am so sorry, she doesn't understand yet, she is only two." I than got a nasty death glare and told once again she was not a monkey. I than saw her husband walk up to her in the isle, which he was a very large man, and she must have told him what happened because he looked pissed and started walking towards me. The lady than said "no let just go" and he turned around and they left. I wanted to crawl in my own skin, I felt terrible, I felt horrible. She might as well have called her the "N" word! I know back in the days people would call slaves and stuff monkies, but lady trust me I don't teach my 2 year old that. But after the total embarressment wore off, I was like are kinding me lady, she is two. She wasn't trying to be mean, and do I look like someone who teaches her that black people are monkey's, she's two, she doesn't know racial slang! I was mad she got that mad at her, Mya didn't know any better. None the less, I was so mortified! It makes me so nervous to bring Mya around a black person again. I really don't know where she got that! I promise I am a good mom and don't teach her such awful things!

6 comments:

n.davis said...

awww, she'll learn. i'm sorry that the lady was so rude to you, she should've understood..they both should have. It's not your fault at all. Seriously, it happened to me while babysitting, except the little girl went up to the man and asked why he was colored on with a crayon. I was so embarrassed, but the man just laughed. He knew she was small and didn't know that people come in many many shades. She'll learn. :D

Brooke said...

LOL Oh my goodness. I am so sorry. I totally know how that is though. Landon loves Space Jam and Michael Jordan is in the movie...Other than him, he has never seen a black person. I was at a doctors appointment and a young black man walked in and Landon shouted "Micheal JOrdan!!!"

Good thing the guy didn't speak any english ;)

Brittany said...

That's hilarious, not at the time...but I'm with you, She's two the lady should have lightened up. My mom said when I was that age we were on an air-plane and saw a black person, and I loudly asked my mom why her face was all dirty. It happens, and in Utah you just don't see a lot of ethnicity....

Our ABC Family said...

I'm so sorry Jamers! I would have felt the exact same way as you. That lady needs to learn to breath and realize that kids are kids and they come up with the darndest things to say! :) Love you girl! You are an AMAZING mom!!!

Tai and Joe said...

I think that is so funny! I can't believe that she got mad. Lame for her being like that. I would have been scared if the husband would have came over to talk to me. It's not your fault at all. I think you are an amazing mother. People are so lame sometimes.

Rachelle said...

Wow, that's a tough one. I'm so sorry that lady was rude about it. I can definitely understand how someone would be offended, but you have to consider the source of the comment. I highly doubt a two year old would be making such a comment with racial overtones. It sounds like you handled it well Jamie! I swear, sometimes I run into the strangest situation at Wal-mart!