Thursday, July 23, 2009

Huge Scare

Marlee gave me a huge scare on Wednesday night! I was just getting out of a shower about 1:40 and she was sitting in a little gliders carrier we have for her in our room. When I first came into the room I saw her arms flaying around and thought I spooked her, she had her head arched back was sqirming. I didn't think to much of it and went back into bathroom to hang my towel. I got a very very sick feeling when I walked away and felt I should get back to her immediately. I am so grateful I listened to the spirit. When I got back to her she was blue and not breathing and just laying limp in the carrier. I ripped her from the carrier and sat her up, she acted as if she was gagging and choking on something, she gave me a 1 sec scream and than was silent again. Than she starts foaming at the mouth all these bubbles start to come drooling down her chin and milk starts slowly running from her nose. I about lost my mind. She than would give me a small scream again and than throw her head back violently and stiffen up as strainght as a board. Her toes and fingers just spread so wide and rigid. I tried to hold her in every position, nothing helped, she just kept foaming at the mouth, scream once and start shaking and go rigid over and over again. I realized that this was serious I could tell she could not breath and was gagging and choking. I called my sister cassie quickly and bawled that Marlee could not breath adn I needed help. She came flying over in a flash. Poor Marlee's eyes were all puffy and swollen and gooie stuff coming out of them. The whole thing lasted a good 5-7 minutes, but seemed like an hour. Todd came home and we raced to the hospital, they were trying to decifer between a seizure and or a reflux attack. Marlee was diagnosed you could say with severe acid reflux just two days prior to this. I noticed when I feed her she was arch her back and gag and choke, but she NEVER spits up. You can hear the acid come up in her troat and she gags like she is going to throw it up but than it goes back down. They did put her on medicine to help control the acid but had only been able to be on it for 2 days before this all happened. They didn't rule out sezuires all together but are more thinking down the line that she had a reflux attack. Doc said it was very rare to see it last so long and for it to put her little body through so much stress and trauma. I huess what happened or they are thinking at this point that the milk and acid came up in her throat adn would not go back down nor could she spit it out so it was sitting and burning her throat inwhich the vocal cords clamp shut to prevent anything getting into the lungs, thus leading to her not being able to breath. IT was the scariest thing I had ever seen. I never ever want to relive that again! The doc said if it happens again to get her straight into the hospital and they will do a spinal tap and x-rays to check for more severe things such as seizures and what not. He is thinking the medicince will kick in and help not allow this to happen again. It's crazy, here I am CPR certified for the last 10 years, was an EMT and ran on an amubulance for a year, having taken tons of medicial classes in college and when this happend I could not remember ONE DANG THING TO DO when it was my own child. What good am I? I saw bloody car accidents, broken bones, uncouncious people and I can't even get my wits about me to give my own kid CPR! UGG I was so annoyed with myself. I will forsure not let that happen again! I am so grateful that things turned out ok. Marlee is doing fine today, we just pray that does not happy again...EVER! The bandages are from blood being drawn to check her electrolytes and sodium levels. They came back good!
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

porter said...

that is scary. i have a son with that acid reflux thing and it is not fun. it took me almost a year to convince the doctor there was something wrong. they say they grow out of it but he will be 4 in oct and still has problems with it. just make sure you prop her head up when you lay her down so that it has a chance to come out that way she don't choke on it. they told me to roll a blanket up and place it under the mattress of the crib to slant it a little. i am sorry to hear about that and hang in there.

Jocelyn and Ryan said...

Oh I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can't even imagine what I would do- and I'm not even as prepared as you are! I'm glad she (and you) are ok.

Brooke said...

Jamie, I'm so happy that little Marlee is okay now. How scary for you and your family! But don't be so hard on yourself...I think you handled the situation like any mother would and I think you did a great job! I can't even imagine going through this...I would for sure lose it too!

Heather said...

I'm so glad that she's okay. That is so scary!

Lacey Jay said...

SOOOOO glad my sweet Mar is okay! I agree with mom, Marlee.. DON"T YOU EVER DO THAT TO US AGAIN

Angela Montgomery said...

So scary. I'm so glad she is ok.

Kristen said...

Wow! I can't even imagine that happening! I would have froze up too! That is so scary!! I am so glad that everything is okay and I hope that nothing comes of it! Poor little Marlee!

Our ABC Family said...

So scary!!! I'm glad things are okay! Don't beat yourself up about not thinking to do CPR. You listened to the spirit to go back and check on her, and things worked out! You're amazing Jamie, and Marlee is absolutely adorable! Your little family is too cute! Congratulations! I'm sorry I haven't kept in better in touch! You're in my thoughts and prayers, miss you!

Tai and Joe said...

Oh my gosh! Jamie, that freaks me out. I am so glad that she is okay. Yes please, let do a girls night. I would love that. I don't like to be alone when he is at these trainings. Lets plan a day.

n.davis said...

jamie, i'm so glad she's ok. that is so scary to have to go through that. I am so glad you had someone so close to you and that you listened to the spirit. what an amazing mommy.
And i just got your sweet comment on my blog, and i just have to say..I know you love me, i hope ya know i love you. :D I support you guys as well, and i totally know how tight and busy things get. We can relate, it's a crazy crazy time. I'm good, but have been contracting for almost 2 weeks now. i'm just tired. :D but she's finishing up her time in there, and she's healthy so i'm ok with it. :D You're in our prayers, and don't ya worry about anything...we'll get together soon, when it's easier for the both of us. :D

nikki shea.